Food Preparation & Nutrition
Curriculum Leader: Miss H Bowman
Exam Board : AQA
Specification Number: 8585
What will be studied?
This is a new and exciting opportunity to study food. Students will learn practical skills to make creative and delicious products that are good for the planet too. In addition to skills, students will study the fascinating science behind their cooking, explore practical solutions to develop healthy and nutritious meals and learn about where food comes from and its environmental impact.
Students will experience a range of learning opportunities:
- Focused practical sessions to develop new technical skills
- Investigating how different ingredients can enhance and improve products
- Food tasting to sharpen our visual, tasting and sensory skills
- Experimenting independently and in teams
- Developing new recipes and menus to solve health and lifestyle challenge
How is the course assessed?
There are two non-examined assessment tasks worth 50% of the GCSE. A food investigation task (20%) and an exciting practical task (30%) where students will prepare, cook and present their own creative menu of 3 products.
There is a written exam which includes a series of multiple choice questions and 5 longer questions. It is worth 50% of the GCSE.
What websites are recommended?
AQA for past papers
What equipment is needed?
An apron, relevant project ingredients specified by teacher when applicable.