Student Wellbeing and Mental Health
At STAGS wellbeing is at the heart of all we do.
Well-being is defined by how we feel. Students should feel safe, happy, comfortable and supported. At STAGS we are dedicated to making sure our students achieve a sense of belonging and a feeling of wellbeing in our community. This is turn enables them to focus on achieving their potential so that they can have access to the best possible life chances.
Young peoples mental health is a key priority at STAGS and we place the highest priority on ensuring that vulnerable students are well supported and cared for. In addition we work hard to ensure that students, staff and parents are well educated in ways to promote positive mental health and avenues of support if help is needed.
We take a whole community approach to wellbeing that is detailed in the attachment below. The school Mental Health Lead is Karen Thomas (Deputy Head) and the Deputy Mental Health Lead is Jill Habib (Student Wellbeing Advisor). The Governor with responsibility for Mental Health is Racheal Kenningham.
We aim to:
- Empower young people and their parents to actively influence their lives
- Provide integrated and positive experiences and structures, which promote and protect student’s wellbeing; mental and physical health
- Create an ethos of care, respect, participation, responsibility and inclusion
- Ensure a safe, supportive and caring atmosphere
- Value and support all students, families and staff
- encourage a sense of belonging and promote self-esteem and respect.
- provide good opportunities for partnership working within and outside the school, home, the wider community and key external agencies
- Use the curriculum effectively to enable all students and staff to;
- enjoy and succeed in a range of educational, social and cultural experiences
- make informed choices and decisions that help to ensure a healthy lifestyle
- make positive contributions to the well-being of STAGS and the wider community
- Learn about mental health so that they are well informed in supporting others and seeking help for themselves